When I was drying clothes few weeks ago, some of them did not dry well. The dryer was taking too long to dry clothes. My honey check both washer and dryer. He said a total cleaning has to be done on the dryer. Now, it is working fine.
Did you experience the same problem with your appliance? Well here is what you should do to keep your dryer functioning well. In this very hot summer time, catching fire in the home is possible. You probably peel the lint out of your clothes dryer's lint trap after every load of laundry. But that is not enough to keep the appliance from posing a fire hazard to your home. Below are few more maintenance checks to your laundry-day routine
- Notice how long it takes the dryer to dry your clothes. If they are still damp at the end of a typical drying cycle, or it it is starting to take longer to dry clothes, your lint screen or exhaust duct maybe blocked.
- Clean the dryer vent and exhaust duct at least once a year. The duct is the coil that sends the hot dryer air to the outdoors. The vent is the hole where the hot air leaves the house. Both can get clogged with lint and overheat, send dirty, moist air back into your home, or even catch on fire. You might have to disconnect the exhaust duct from the dryer and vent to remove the blockage.
- Clean the back of the dryer and sweep behind and underneath it regularly to remove accumulated lint.
- If your exhaust duct is plastic or foil, replace it with a rigid or corrugated, semirigid metal duct. Plastic and foil are too flexible and trap lint easily.
- Avoid throwing gasoline-,oil- or chemical-soiled clothes and towels into the dryer. Instead, wash them several times and line-dry them. If you have to use the dryer for them, choose the lowest setting and remove them the minute the cycle is finished. Even washed-and-dried clothes that have come into contact with volatile chemicals can ignite. Best bet: Consider the clothes ruined and safely dispose of them.
I hope these guide you to keep your laundry routine easy as well as maintaining the safety of your home.
Source: Farmers Electric Coop