We can extend the life our washer and dryer--and our clothes, too--by treating our appliances with care on laundry day. Here's how:
- Clean the dryer's lin filter after every use. Occasionally vacuum the chute that houses the filter.
- Unfasten the duct from the drer at least once a year and vacuum it.
- Cut down on drying time if your clothes consistently come out wrinkled. That means you're overdrying.
- On nice days, skip the dryer completely by installing and using a clothesline.
- Avoid overloading your washing machine with comforters, rugs and large blankets. Look in your owner's manual to learn how much weight your washer's tub can handle.
- Balance your load. Washers can fail when heavy loads bang around in and unbalanced machine.
- Replace your incoming water intake hoses every five years, even if they look OK. Older hoses are prone to bursting.